16 – 20 September 2019
We have called for strong action on climate change for many years.
This September, our branches across the UK are organising a week of activities to call for urgent action to tackle climate change.
Green UNISON Week gives UNISON members the chance to show support for the school climate strikers ahead of their campaign to raise awareness and the school climate strike on 20 September.
Anti-trade union laws mean that UNISON branches cannot take strike action but there are many ways you can show your support for the school campaigners:
Five key actions:
- Find out if your UNISON branch has an environment rep? If not, encourage your branch and any interested members to get involved and become green reps!
- Find out what your employer is doing to reduce their environmental impact. Ask your employer to share this information with UNISON.
- Hold a UNISON green event. You could run a lunchtime stall in the canteen, a film show, or a talk. Why not invite a school student climate striker or a speaker from a nearby environmental campaigning organisation to come along?
- Run a green survey. Ask your friends and colleagues for ideas on how to ‘green up’ your workplace. Get people involved and offer a prize or raffle.
- Run a green workplace training activity. Talk to your UNISON learning rep and look into running a lunchtime activity session for green reps and members who’d like to learn more.
You can find others who share your concerns about climate change and let UNISON Green Week be your springboard into starting a new green UNISON network where you work.
If you have any questions about Green UNISON Week, email email@example.com.