If you want to help members have a stronger union at work, you could think about trying to get elected as a steward.
Workplace stewards are the heart of our union. UNISON’s stewards are the reason we win campaigns that result in better lives for our members and all working people.
As a steward, you would work with your branch to organise your colleagues into an effective, strong and welcoming membership.
As a steward you will:
- be the first point of contact for members in your workplace
- talk to members about the union
- talk to staff about their issues
- offer advice on issues at work
- represent members in cases
- campaign for better working conditions
- recruit and organise new members
- encourage more members to get active in UNISON
- raise your members’ issues with the branch