Through self organisation, disabled members help the Union to identify and challenge discrimination. This helps build equality throughout the work of the Union.
It can also be a valuable way for members to get involved in the union, develop skills, expertise and confidence.
Greater London’s Regional Disabled Members Committee (RDMC) meets four times a year including the annual general meeting. Branches are entitled to send one delegate and an observer to the RDMC.
Branches with newly formed, developing or active Disabled Members’ groups are encouraged to join the Committee. The RDMC also has reserved seats for the other three regional self organised groups.
The RDMC has elected representatives to attend meetings of the Regional Council, Regional Committee and various sub-committees in the Region.
Committee members who attend these meetings raise issues which affect disabled members and report back to RDMC meetings. The Committee also has members who attend the SERTUC Disabled Members’ Network.
The committee runs a training session prior to National Disabled Members’ conference which all delegates and visitors are invited to attend.
RDMC DISABILITY INFORMATION DAY – 28 NOVEMBER
In recognition of Disability History Month (22nd November to 22nd December), the Committee held their annual Disability Information Day at UNISON Centre for all branch activists who wanted to develop their knowledge and skills around advising and representing disabled members when they seek support and assistance.It’s important that stewards continue to develop their understanding of disability discrimination and how to support members in the workplace. The event was, as always, very well attended, informative and rewarding. Presentations from the day will be on the regional website in the new year.
The speakers were –
- Graeme Ellis speaking on Mandatory re-consideration
- Peter Daley spoke on supporting members / meeting the member / getting the right information
- Michael Paul Disability Rights UK gave a presentation on DWP Benefits
- Deirdre Costigan spoke on the new Reasonable Adjustment Bargaining Guide and Model Passport
- Regional Convenor Yvonne Green giving a report on the work undertaken in the region in 2019
- Sarah Saunders give a report on the National Disabled Members Committee work plan 2019
Date for your diaries – Disability Information Day 2020 will be held at UNISON Centre on 26th November.